AMEX Small Business Saturday ,
“SBS”, is around the corner and for Australians, this means good news! (Sorry Americans).
Basically, SBS is usually one day a year, usually the last Saturday of November, where American Express promotes shopping at small businesses.
The offers were quite generous previously in the United States, but this year they are not as good as previously.
In Australia, though, it’s an entirely different story.
AMEX seems to be having a Small Business Month!
The offer for Australians is $10 back on a $20 or above transaction – once per location, in up to 10 locations!
That’s a net profit of $100.00 if you buy store credit or things you would have purchased anyway.
The best part – Spend the $20(x10) anytime from now (it started October 30th), until the November 30th to get the $10 statement credit!
While obviously being able to swipe 10 times at one store is much more convenient than going to 10 stores, you’ve got until midnight November 30th to do it.
With multiple Amex cards, this will result in a decent profit and a great small business revenue boost.
The official terms and conditions are as follows:
- Purchases must be made directly at participating merchant locations listed on www.shopsmallaustralia.com/map
- Offer only applies to spend on this Card. It does not apply to spend on any supplementary Cards on this account or any other American Express Cards you might hold.
- Card Members must register by saving this offer to this Card and spend $20 or more on their registered Card instore at participating Shop Small merchants, in one transaction, between 30/10/15 and 30/11/15 to receive one $10 statement credit. The offer can be redeemed once per participating merchant at a maximum of 10 different merchants.
- Participation is limited to the first 100,000 Cards to register.
- Limited to ten (10) statement credits per Card Member, with no more than one statement credit per merchant location.
- Online purchases, Gift Cards and returned, cancelled or refunded purchases are not eligible for this offer
- Statement credit is not redeemable for cash or other payment form.
- Statement credit is normally issued within 5 business days of the eligible spend, but may take up to 8 weeks to appear in your account, after the end of the campaign.
- Statement credit may not be applied to your Card Account if it has been suspended or cancelled and may be reversed if qualifying purchase is returned or cancelled.
Full terms and conditions available HERE
While it says that Gift Cards are not acceptable for the credit – practically, if you buy store credit in store, it should ring up the same as a regular transaction on your card.
If you shop at a store that takes AMEX and you don’t see it on the map – make sure to get them to register and get on, so you can get your statement credits.
The catch? You need to Register and there’s only 100,000 spots in total. As of this post, it’s still open – so register now.
1. Sign into your AMEX Account online.
2. Scroll to the bottom and select “Offers & Places”.
3. Click “Save to Card” next to the offer for $10 “Shop Small”.
4. You will see it has been added to your card like this screenshot below:
I originally found out about SBS on Dansdeals and watched how he had educated so many people to make use of benefits they were entitled to but didn’t know about. For small businesses last year, many pictures circulated with lines down the block of people spending money and driving business to their local stores. I bought a set of new books at my local Judaica, “Atara’s”, in Los Angeles. The statement credit showed up within 24 hours.
To summarise, this is a great offer with limited registrations still available. It’s an easy $100 per credit card you have with AMEX. With this offer going on until November 30, it’s easy to collect the bonus at 10 different stores. The Australian offer is much better this year than the US offer and Australians should make the most of “Shop Small Australia”.
If you don’t yet have an American Express Card, I highly recommend applying for the very lucrative AMEX Velocity Platinum Card.
It’s got a huge 80,000 Velocity point sign up bonus when you signup through my Referral link HERE (Regular 50,000), after you spend just $500 within the first 3 months. While it costs $349AUD a year, you can downgrade it at the end of the year to the The AMEX Velocity Escape Card. Or you can apply for the no annual Fee AMEX Velocity Escape Card with a sign up bonus of 15,000 Velocity points after you spend just $500 within the first 3 months. These cards generally arrive within 10 days, if you receive instant approval. This means that you could receive your card with ample time to spend $200 across 10 stores for “Shop Small Australia” – Receive $100 back from American Express and receive the 15,000 bonus points after just another $300 spend.
The American Express Velocity Platinum Card comes with a bunch of other really great benefits such as
- 3 Velocity Points per dollar spent on eligible Card purchases at:
- Virgin Australia
- Tens of thousands of restaurants in Australia
- 2 Points per dollar spent on eligible Card purchases at:
- Airlines, accommodation, major cruise and tour operators paid directly or through travel agencies
- Spend in foreign currency when overseas and online
- 1 Point per dollar spent on eligible Card purchases at:
- All other providers, excluding those below
- Insurances offered by AMEX
- 0.5 Point per dollar spent on eligible Card purchases at:
- Utilities which are gas, water and electricity providers
- Insurance offered by companies other than AMEX
- Insurance offered by companies other than AMEX
- Telecommunication providers which includes goods and services purchased from phone, mobile and internet service providers
- Government bodies including the Australian Taxation Office, Australia Post, federal/state and local government bodies
- A complimentary Virgin Australia return domestic flight every anniversary year after your first Card spend in that anniversary year
- 2 complimentary single entry passes to the domestic Virgin Australia lounge each anniversary year at selected airports
- Complimentary Domestic & International Travel Insurance
The last 3 benefits alone almost completely cover the cost of the card without even factoring the 80,000 points which I would value at around $1100AUD.
If you like this post and would like to see more, then like and follow our facebook page.
Of course, if you know others who may benefit from this great deal, then be sure to share this article too!
For more News and Travel articles, check out our Blog!